Wednesday, April 13, 2011

THOSE Dieters..

4/13/2012

So you know those certain dieters or weight loss guru's or whatever you want to call them? The ones where they swear to God it's better to eat sprouts and grass than a big ol piece of pizza? You know the ones I'm talking about!  Well yesterday I had the unfortunate pleasure of running into one of them. The first thing she said to me was "OH you have lost weight, that's great.. Keep it up!" Are you serious? Can people be any more rude? (We'll talk more about rude people later) She proceeded to give me all the great tips to feel SOOO GOOD. The whole time I'm praying for the cashier to HURRY up so I can escape this Dallas Cowboy wannabe cheerleaderThen she began to tell me how absolutely wonderful she felt having gotten rid of all her junk food habits, and how she'll never put those horrid foods into her gorgeous body again and that was just so wonderful for her. I could see the cast of Glee ready to belt out some tune to go with this one sided conversation! 
When I finally escaped this woman, I thought back to a few weeks ago before I hit my halfway weight.  I had seen a lot of these type of people (just really never paid attention) and the overwhelming JOY they had when they talked about salad's and protein shakes and Brussel Sprouts! Yuck.  Was I ever going to be one of them? Did I want to be? Did I really want to say I would NEVER walk into a McDonalds again, let alone raise that glorious BigMac to my lips?  I really didn't know, I suppose it's possible but for now I have to say I'm not there yet? Is that unusual? Should I have some sort of glow to me that screams "Don't Eat That, it's NOT Good for you!"? Well, i don't have the answer to that but again, all I can say is that I'm just not there yet and I'm OK with that!  Do you ever think that will be you?

I Bought Jenny Craig's first book from quite a few years ago called What have you got to Lose? In the first chapter she talks about using the S.M.A.R.T method:  Specific, Motivating, Attainable, Reasonable, Trackable

Specific - make a goal that's "specific" "I want to lose 10 pounds by exercising and eating healthy foods, for a party I am going to in late June "
Motivating - "I am going to look fabulous in that dress for the party, after I lose 10 lbs"
Attainable, - "10 lbs isn't that much to lose in 2 months at all!, I can do 1-2 lbs a week!"
Reasonable: - "This goal gives me some room to really work on my diet but I know it's better to lose the weight gradually for an overall goal of keeping the weight off. It's not a marathon"
Trackable: - "I'm going to monitor my progress to make sure I am on the right track"

What a good idea!  Not only does this seem like a healthy attitude, but it's "REALISTIC" It's just not realistic to say "I'm never going to TOUCH a piece of Pizza again!" It's not real and you are just setting yourself up for a possible failure. The minute you even think of that slice of pizza you will be reminded of that promise and you will have already begun to set yourself up for failure!  ("Oh what's the use, I'm just going to have that piece of pizza!") So you eat the one slice and then it continues ("Ugh, I feel so horrible right now, I can't believe I ate that pizza, oh well, I blew it, why not just eat more of it") So why do we keep playing this same old game, vowing to stick to something that's just not realistic? Why can't we just accept we are human and we make mistakes and yes, bad days will come and go, but so will the good ones!


I think it's much more realistic to say "I'm human and I might indulge once in a while, but I will get back on track and for today, I'm going to only eat meals I believe are healthy and well-balanced".  Then if you have that piece of pizza you merely tell yourself "Ok, I'm human, but I have control and that was good, but I'm going to stop now. I have not blown anything!"

So for today, be good to yourself. Be human, be realistic and be S.M.A.R.T! I'm going to try and remember S.M.A.R.T every day!  What's your SMART Goal?

Oh and for all of you ladies just loving your sprouts .... I am calling you out... "BULLSHIT!"
Breakfast awaits!

6 comments:

  1. Congrats on your new blog!!. I have one but haven't updated in quite a while.
    -Dallas cowboys cheerleader wannabe, LOL!
    -Will get JC's book.
    Mariela

    ReplyDelete
  2. THANK YOU! I think you should get that blog updated, drop a link so we can connect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the posts, Lin!

    -mary2cat

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, I found the link to your blog on the JC forum this morning, where I went to look for motivation because I am frustrated and not feeling my committment to losing weight. I can't believe how much we have in common! Today is my 44th birthday, I have never had trouble losing weight before (even after 3 kids) and I'm also on the "petite" side: 5'3". I need/want to lose 20-25 pounds and I want to do it NOW! Immediately! Of course, it's not working that way...It would be great to be in touch and see if we can help each other stay motivated!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have 20 to go but I might change that goal to 25 so that I have 5 lbs to play with. You can friend me over on JC forum or email me @ italiandoll1967@yahoo.com :) HAPPY BIRTHDAY :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Linda,
    This is my blog:http://shesonaroll.blogspot.com/
    I'm Maye from the JC forum. Regards!

    ReplyDelete