Friday, May 20, 2011

UGH, Here Comes TOM

Almost like clockwork when I am feeling a bit defeated, beat down, or frustrated at this journey, there it comes .. Enter TOM!  I didn't think about it much when I went back to bed after literally forcing myself to the gym yesterday morning, and I didn't think about it when I snapped at my daughter and my husband all in a matter of 5 minutes. I didn't even think about it when I burst out crying because every time I tried to work the phone rang! So what made me alert to the fact that TOM was coming... just 5 minutes after eating a great dinner (describe later) there it hit me like a TON of bricks..that all familiar, intense, mind blowing CHOCOLATE craving. Now last month I had prepared, I bought a bag of Hershey's kisses and decided that I would take 5 from the bag and put them aside for that TOM. I did just that.  This month, I was totally off guard. Silly me, was I thinking maybe he would skip over me this month? Did I think all my efforts were worth such a small reward as to just not have TOM visit this month? Anyway, when I say craving.. I mean full, outright, teeth clenching, jaw locking, white knuckling craving! I just knew that ONE Hershey's Kiss was NOT going to be enough. So I decided that I would wait and see how I felt in 10 minute interval's. That first 10 minutes was the longest 10 minutes of my life, but I didn't cave, by the 2nd 10 minute waiting period, my heart had stopped racing and I thought..hmm, I think I'll wait another 10 minutes.  Wow.. it actually worked.  FOR ABOUT 1 hour!  I decided to take a break from thinking about it and called my mom. I told her what was running around in my head and her response (mind you she's a Jenny Craig Maintenance GURU) was "Well, just have a small piece of chcolate or a few M&M's"  REALLY? Why didn't I think of that? Oh, that's right, because I cannot have just ONE piece of chocolate or just 5 little, itty, bitty M&M's!  So that phone call went well.  I then decided to jump on here and just blog about this craving.  I know if I can just get through this one day, it will be easier tomorrow. HA!

Flash forward to this morning (TGIF). Well, I did it and believe me this is a huge accomplishment! Now mind you that last night I debated the chocolate craving so late that any store around me was closed anyway. I'm not going to think about how far I would have traveled for that chocolate, had I given in!  I actually feel really good for this small accomplishment. I am curious as to what research says is the reason why us women crave like this during TOM?  

In honor of mine and every woman's chocolate cravings but without the guilt, I give you some of these recipe's I found online this morning, I will be armed and ready for the next craving! 

Chocolate Nut BarkWow, this is better than one of those 100 calorie snack packs!
Yields: 3 dozen 1 1/2-inch pieces
Wow, only 74 Calories!!

Total Time: 35 min

Prep Time: 10 min

Ingredients
  • 2 cup(s) semisweet, bittersweet, or milk chocolate chips, melted (see Tips & Techniques)
  • 1 1/2 cup(s) assorted nuts, such as hazelnuts, almonds, and cashews, plus more for garnish



Directions

  1. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil. (Take care to avoid wrinkles.) Combine melted chocolate and nuts in a medium bowl. Scrape the mixture onto the foil and spread it into an approximate 12-by-9-inch rectangle. Sprinkle with additional finely chopped nuts, if desired. Refrigerate until set, about 20 minutes.
  2. Transfer the bark and foil to a cutting board. Use a sharp knife to cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces.



Tips & Techniques

To melt chocolate, microwave on Medium for 1 minute. Stir, then continue microwaving on Medium, stirring every 20 seconds, until melted. Or place chocolate in the top of a double boiler over hot, but not boiling, water. Stir until melted.

Nutritional Information
(Per serving)
Calories - 74
Total Fat 5 g
Saturated fat 2g
Cholesterol --
Sodium 1 mg
Total Carbohydrate- --
Dietary Fiber 1g
Sugars --
Protein - 1g
Calcium --

----------------------------------------------------------------
Boot Tracks
Serves 10
Total Minutes - 30

Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup(s) salted butter
  • 2/3 cup(s) granulated sugar
  • 2  large eggs
  • 1 teaspoon(s) vanilla extract
  • 1 cup(s) whole-wheat pastry flour
  • 6 tablespoon(s) cocoa powder
  • 2 tablespoon(s) canola oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon(s) espresso powder, (optional)
  • Confectioner's sugar, for dusting
Instructions
  1. Preheat a nonstick (not Belgian) waffle iron.
  2. Cream butter and sugar in a medium bowl. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Add flour, cocoa powder, oil and espresso powder (if using). Beat until thoroughly combined.
  3. Drop the batter by rounded teaspoonfuls about 1 inch apart onto the preheated ungreased waffle iron. (To avoid burnt fingers, use two spoons, one to scoop and one to scrape dough onto the waffle iron.) Close and cook until the cookies are puffed and cooked through, 1 to 1 1/2 minutes. Waffle irons vary, so watch closely and don't let the cookies get too dark. Transfer to a wire rack to cool until just warm. Dust the cookies with confectioners sugar while still slightly warm (see Variations). Variations: Instead of confectioners sugar, drizzle cooled cookies with melted bittersweet and/or white chocolate. Or make a peppermint drizzle: Mix 1 cup confectioners sugar, 4 teaspoons water and 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract; add natural green food coloring, if desired.








Nutritional Information  



Calories63
Total Fat4g
Saturated Fat2g
Cholesterol18mg
Sodium22mg
Total Carbohydrate7g
Dietary Fiber--
Sugars--
Protein1g
Calcium0


















No comments:

Post a Comment